Chủ Nhật, 15 tháng 3, 2009

MỘT CHUYẾN DU LỊCH ĐẾN HOA KỲ

LESSON 1: APPLYING FOR A VISA

Dialogue 1

Consul: Have a seat, please. May I know your name?
Note: Have a seat/ Sit down/ This is your seat/…, please
May/Can I know your name?/ What is your name?/ Tell me your name?/ Who are you?/…
Wang Lifang: My name is Wang Lifang.
Note: My name is…/ I’m…/
Consul: Why do you want to go to the U.S.?
Wang Lifang: I’m going to see my daughter. She is a graduate student in Columbia
University.
Note: I want to see…./ I will see…
A graduate student: Học viên sau đại học
In/at Columbia University
Consul: Have you any recent letter from your daughter?
Note: Have you ANY…?
Recent(a) đứng trước DANH TỪ(Bổ nghĩa cho danh từ đó). Recently(adv) đứng sau ĐỘNG TỪ(Bổ nghĩa cho động từ đó)
Wang Lifang: Yes, here you are.
Note: Here you are/ There you are
Consul: How long are you going to stay in the U.S.?
Wang Lifang: Six months, if possible.
Consul: Fine. That’s all for now.
Wang Lifang: When can I have my visa?
Consul: Please come to get your visa this time tomorrow morning.
Wang Lifang: Thank you very much.
Note: Thank you very much/ Thank you so much/ Thanks a lot
Consul: Not at all. Have a pleasant stay in the U.S.
Note: To please( làm vui)à Please(int), Pleasance(n), Pleasantness(n), Pleasant(adj), Pleasantly(adv)

Dialogue 2

Zhang Linghua: Good morning. I’m Zhang Linghua. I have come for my visa.
Consul: Oh, yes. How do you do, Mr.Zhang. My name is Stone Best.
Zhang Linghua: How do you do, Mr. Best.
Consul: Would you mind answering a few questions, Mr.Zhang?
Zhang Linghua: Of course not.
Consul: Do you have any special reason to go to America?
Zhang Linghua: I want to study electrical engineering, for I know America is the
most advanced country in this field.
Consul: Who will pay the tuition and other expenses?
Zhang Linghua: I’ve got a full scholarship from the City University of New
York. Besides. I have an uncle in California. He is a doctor and
will provide me with other necessary expenses.
Consul: Do you plan to stay in America after you finish your study there?
Zhang Linghua: No, I’ll return to China after my graduation and apply what I have
learned to my future career.
Consul: Good. We’ll certainly consider your case. That’s all. Good-bye.
Zhang Linghua: Thank you. Good-bye.

Additional Sentences

1/ What is your purpose in applying for visa?
2/ Have you any letter of invitation from the institute?
3/ Who’s your sponsor?
4/ Who will finance your other expenses?
5/ Does your son have a U.S. citizenship?
6/ Do you think your English is good enough when you study in the American University?
7/ I’v received high scores on the TOEFL and GRE.
8/ Does your scholarship cover the whole two years?
9/ I can have my scholarship renewed.
10/ How long will it take to get an entry visa?

Useful Works and Expressions

-Document(n): Tài liệu, văn bản
-Paper(n): Giấy tờ
-Passport(n): Hộ chiếu
-Visa(n): Thị thực
-Exit permit: Giấy phép xuất cảnh
-Letter of invitation: Thư mời
-Letter of acception: Thư chấp nhận
-Financial aid: Nguồn tài trợ
-Scholarship(n): Học bổng
-Assistantship(n): Sự hỗ trợ, giúp đỡ
-Fellowship(n): Sự giao hảo, tình hữu nghị
-Sponsor(n): Người bảo trợ
-Guarantor(n): Người bảo lãnh
-Citizenship(n): Quyền công dân
-Exchange visitor: Khách đến thăm theo chương trình trao đổi
-Visiting scholar: Học giả, thỉnh giảng
-Immigrant(n): Người nhập cư
-Scholar’s degree: Văn bằng học thuật
-Master’s degree: Bằng thạc sĩ
-Doctor’s degree: Bằng tiến sĩ

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét